Obligations and Responsibilities
CODE OF CONDUCT
As part of the Herndon Swim League, we expect our swimmers to comply with the League's Code of Conduct. All team members and spectators will behave in a sportsmanlike and respectful manner to all swimmers, coaches and parents at all times. For further information and specifics, please go to https://hsl.swimtopia.com and see the Code of Conduct under Swimmers.
OBLIGATIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES OF SWIMMERS
Swimmers have the following responsibilities to the team and their teammates.
- Make every effort to attend each swim practice and swim meet. Arrive 10 minutes early to be on deck and ready to swim at the scheduled time for practice/warm-ups.
- Report any information received from the coaches at practices to parents.
- Check the Bulletin Board or website for changes and for new information regarding events.
- Get plenty of rest before a meet.
- Swim in all events entered in unless unable to do so for medical or other emergency reasons.
- Stay in the designated area.
- Know event numbers and be ready to report to the Clerk of Course when events are called.
- Show good team spirit by encouraging and cheering on teammates during their individual events and during relays.
- Wear the Bradley Farm Wave team suit at all meets.
- Respect the property of other swimmers on the team and on opposing teams.
- At all meets and practices, leave the area in the same condition in which you found it.
- Discuss with coaches any questions about meet line-ups or other team and practice activities.
OBLIGATIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES OF PARENTS
Swim meets absolutely cannot happen without the help of parents. There are a number of different ways that parents can help out so that their child can enjoy their summer swim meet experience.
- Indicate swimmer availability via our website at least 3 days before each meet (i.e. by Wednesday for Saturday meets and by Saturday for Wednesday meets); if you know your summer schedule in advance, you are welcome to indicate availability for each meet in the season rather than one at a time. If you are not able to attend a meet (or will arrive late/leave early) or practices, please let the coaches know as soon as possible so that the Head Coach has adequate time to adjust the meet line-up.
- If you indicate that your swimmer is available for a meet, sign up for a volunteer position at the same time.
- Check in with the volunteer coordinator when you arrive at a meet.
- All families are expected to help clean up after home meets. Many hands make light work!
- Direct all concerns to a Team Representative and maintain a courteous manner toward the coaching staff and team representatives at all times.
- Refrain from approaching coaches during practices and meets so the coaches may perform their duties during these times.
- Remain at the pool during practices for swimmers 10 and under.
- Be an ambassador for the team! Let all your neighbors know they are welcome to be a part of the team.
- Provide support and encouragement to all swimmers.
- Inform a Team Representative promptly if your swimmer(s) wishes to quit the team.
- If there are other ways in which you can help or you have ideas to make our team even better, please share!
- Attend parent meetings to learn more and offer feedback.
- Check your swimmer's folder for meet ribbons and other information.
- Place your order for Spirit Wear!
- Donate drinks to the concession stand.